Qui Le wins the Rick Trewavas Medal last weekend
Posted by Vietnam Swans on July 26, 2012
Last weekend, the Swannies’ players were not only playing for a victory against the Cambodian Eagles, we were also playing for the Rick Trewavas Medal which is awarded by the Swans to the Swans’ Most Courageous Player in our derbies against the Cambodian Eagles.
Qui Le was the deserving recipient of the Rick Trewavas Medal on this occasion.
Since July 2010, each time the Swannies play Cambodia outside of tournaments, we award the Rick Trewavas Medal.
Rick, who has had a stoic battle against cancer was involved with footy in Jakarta – prior to the Jakarta Bintangs (!) – as well as the original Hanoi Swans where he played a major role in the establishment of our Club back in 2001 – soon after 9/11. Back then, every Friday night, the boys would assemble on the rooftop of Pepperonis Pizza Bar (part of the Al Fresco’s Group, which remains a Club Sponsor of the Swannies) in Hanoi to watch the AFL on the TV.
Rick, a mega fan of South Melbourne / Sydney Swans had a framed, autographed photo of Bob Skilton which would be hung on the wall each Friday evening in what became known as the Bobby Skilton Room – hence the graphic on the Medal. (For the record, it was two years’ later in 2003 that the Swannies played our first match)
Originally, the Medal was to be awarded to the Swannies’ best player. This year, however, the Medal was changed from Bloods Breed BOGs to Butter up Bloods to shift the focus from pure impact on a game to courage. This was done for two reasons: firstly, the tradition is that the opposing team picks our best player on the day – and we did not want to have “competing” medals. Secondly, Rick has been showing great courage in his own personal battle and has been blitzing! Courage is something that every Swan on the field can show – not just the most athletic or the most skilled.
And how does Rick feel about Qui winning the Rick Trewavas Medal?
“Fantastic. Qui looks like the cat, sorry the Swan, that spilt the milk. And the Medal looks oh so valuable – which, of course, it is to me. Chuffed. Very chuffed. Honk! Rick.”
- Rick Trewavas spends “5 minutes with the Flyer”, 2 March 2012
- The Rick Trewavas Medal – “Butter up Bloods”, 12 March 2012
- Rick Trewavas’ cousin provides an insight, 2 August 2010
- To see the humble beginnings of the Swannies in the Bobby Skilton Room with the Panel, some rare archival footage can be seen on You Tube by clicking here.
- Previous winners of the Rick Trewavas Medal: Brett Jotta, 2010 (Phnom Penh); and Michael Johnston 2012 (Phnom Penh). (There were no matches played outside tournaments in 2011.)
- Designer of the Rick Trewavas Medal: Ross McRae Design. Ah McRae, you’ve done it again.