Background on the ANZAC Friendship Match
Vung Tau served as the Australians logistics base during the Vietnam/American War and, more specifically, the match will be played at the Greyhound Racing Track. The Greyhound track was formerly known as the Lord Mayor’s Oval – and the venue for footy tournaments back in 1966-71
Against this backdrop of sensitivities, the Vietnam Swans feel extremely privileged to be able to host our ANZAC Friendship Match. We wear two black armbands to respect all who have fallen and to share the vision of one bright future.
The Friendship Match, first played in 2010 as an internal game between Hanoi and Saigon, went international with the China Reds attending in 2011 and 2012, Jakarta Bintangs in 2013 and the Malaysian Warriors in 2014.
Our Friendship Match brings together two worlds from two different eras: Vietnam 1970 and present day Vietnam. For all of us who have chosen to live and work here Vietnam is such an exciting, vibrant, generous and welcoming country.
We also use the occasion to raise money for local orphanages and Swim Vietnam’s swimming education initiatives that will save young lives. In Vietnam, more children currently die from drowning than road accidents.
We warmly invite people to attend the ANZAC Friendship Match each year in the spirit of friendship and respect – and to have an amazing day at the footy.
- Stan Middleton, The Official History of the Vietnam Football League, 1966-71
- 60 Minutes, The Battle of Long Tan, Forgotten Heroes, by Peter Harvey. The story was aired on 13 August 2006.
- The Battle of Long Tan – documentary (100 mins) narrated by Sam Worthington.
- Redgum, I was only 19
ANZAC Friendship Match History
Vietnam Swans def by
Vietnam Swans 2.2 8.5 8.6 (13.12.90) def
Singapore Wombats 2.3 2.4 5.7 (7.7.49)
Goals Swans: Doer 3, Keys 3, Skowronski 2, Vile 2, Glendinning, Hyde, Clements.
Best Swans: Mitch Hyde, Tom Doer, David Skowronski, Grant Keys, Tim Pickert
- Swans Defeat Wombats on Anzac Centenary – report
- 2015 ANZAC Friendship Match Record
- 2015 ANZAC DAY tour info guide
Vietnam Swans def
- Anzac Friendship Match 2014
- – 2014 Anzac Friendship Match Record
- Sydney Swans media, Vietnam Swans honour ANZAC tradition
Vietnam Swans 8.11.59 def by
Jakarta Bintags 10.9.69
Vietnam Swans 12. 7. 79 def
China Reds 7. 14. 56
- 2012 Press Release
- Photo Album
- Sydney Swans media, Vietnam Swans Prepared for Anzac Clash
- Youtube, 2012 ANZAC Day review
- Youtube, 2012 ANZAC Day promo
- Youtube, 2012 ANZAC Day pre-game speech
- 2012 ANZAC Friendship Match Footy Record
- Beijing Bombers, Game Report
- Legends vs All Stars report
Vietnam Swans 12. 17. 89 def
Hong Kong Dragons 7. 5. 47
Best (Dragons); Bowski, Dave Kerr, Dunn, Ian Mac.
Best (Swans); Hadley, Hornblower, Shiels, Ellis, Meres.
- 25 April, 2011, Battle of Long Tan ANZAC Day Service Vietnam, 2011. Peter Harvey, 6pm National Nine News (via You Tube).
- 25 April, Battle of Long Tan ANZAC Day Service Vietnam, 2011. Telephone interview with Peter Harvey, 5pm National Nine News (via You Tube).
- 24 April, 2011 ANZAC Friendship Match. Peter Harvey reports on the match between the Vietnam Swans and Hong Kong Dragons for Channel 9 News (via You Tube).
- 21-26 April, Osborne’s football odyssey to help saves lives, AFL Footy Record. Previews Richard “Ossie” Osborne’s trip to Vietnam for the 2011 ANZAC friendship Match and the work being done to help save Vietnamese lives through new swimming initiatives. (Click onto Page 15 of the Round 5, 2011 Footy Record.)
- Adam Martin, Swans stuff 2011
Hanoi Hawks 10.3.63 def
Saigon Saints 9.8.62
- Inaugural ANZAC Friendship Match & Weekend, Vung Tau, 23-25 April, 2010 (pictorial presentation)
- The Vung Tau Wrap Up. A review of the ANZAC weekend, Vung Tau, 2010 (story on Vietnam Swans website)
- Aussie Rules during the Vietnam War
- Photos of Aussie Rules matches during the War. Click here
- Long Tan Cross, ANZAC Day 2010, Riding On Magazine (Ulysses Club) reviews, including the match.
- The Vietnam Swans Inaugural ANZAC Friendship Match 2010 (Front Page, Page 18, Page 19 ) Vietnam Veterans Debrief Magazine, Winter, 2010.
- Aussie Rules has reached Vietnam, TPI Chin Up Vietnam Veterans Magazine. Looks at the Vietnam Swans Inaugural ANZAC Friendship Match.
- 2009 ANZAC Day presentation, Hellfire Pass, Thailand.
- The Battle of Long Tan, Forgotten Heroes, by Peter Harvey, 60 Minutes. The story was aired on 13 August 2006.