Posted by Vietnam Swans on September 1, 2008
The 2008 Asian Champs
Tonight, under the supervision of your local friendly CPA – and the eyes of ESPN’s cameras, the draw for the 2008 9th Annual Asian AFL Championships occurred.
In Group A:
In Group B:
- Hong Kong
We have never played the UAE but we have played the reigning Asian Champs, Hong Kong, who were in fine form. As for Thailand and Lao, the Champs must be a warm up for the Indochine Cup which is scheduled to be played in Phnom Penh in November!
What do you think of the Draw? Good, bad or ugly? Post a comment.
Posted in Asian Champs | 2 Comments »
Posted by Vietnam Swans on August 22, 2008
- The Vietnam Swans fundraisers
This weekend, across the country, the Vietnam Swans will be out in force raising awareness about the Club and funds.
Tomorrow night in Hanoi, with a little help from our friends, Jim Beam and JASPAS, we will meet up at 5pm at JASPAS to watch the Brisbane Vs Carlton match. The Jim Beam Swanettes, together with a mega bottle of Jim, will also be in attendance. The fundraiser will help us get Mr Tung to join us in Singapore for the Champs.
The following day in Saigon, Sunday 24 August, the boys are off to Danny’s house for a barbie. Rather than raising funds, this event is more about getting different people involved in the Club.
But back to tomorrow, Michael Johnston and Michael Francis will be swimming in the Hoi An Triathlon to save children’s lives. They’re raising money for children’s swimming lessons because more children die in this country from drowning than road accidents.
The swimming lessons will be conducted through the Blue Dragon Children’s Foundation in Hanoi. All donations will be matched dollar for dollar by the Intrepid Foundation.
If you would like more information or would like to donate to the swimming lessons cause, please contact Michael Johnston at firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted in Asian Champs, Fundraiser, Swans in the Community | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Vietnam Swans on August 9, 2008
- Tony Morwood
Tony Morwood, the Sydney Swans’ General Manager for Melbourne and Canberra (who is wearing his Vietnam Swans hat in the side photo) has donated 2 Sherrin footies to the Vietnam Swans.
The 2 Sherrins, delivered in Saigon yesterday, are in absolutely mint condition. One will be shipped to Hanoi and the other will remain in Saigon. They will play a pivotal role in our assault on the Asian Champs.
Speaking of assaults and ships, there’s a strong rumour that the Vietnam Swans will play a team from HMAS ANZAC on Wednesday 27th August 2008. We are hoping to confirm details in the coming week.
Thank you very much again to the Sydney Swans for their continued support.
Posted in Asian Champs | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Vietnam Swans on August 4, 2008
The Asian Champs
The Organising Committee for the 9th Annual Asian Championships, Singapore, 6 September 2008 has been released.
Key pieces of informations are:
- 10 teams will compete (Laos replaces Japan this year)
- the teams will be split into two groups of 5 – Groups A and B
- Last year’s Grand Finalists, Hong Kong and Bali will be drawn in different groups
- There will be a random draw for the other positions in each group
- the 5 teams in each group will play each other once in a round robin format comprising 2 x 12 minute halves
- Semi Finals – The top 2 teams in each group will compete in the semis. Top team in Group A plays the 2nd team in Group B. Top team Group B plays 2nd team Group A. 2 x 15 minute halves.
- Grand Final – The winning teams from each semi final will play off in the Grand Final. 2 x 20 minute halves.
Please see the attached prospectus, the 9thannualasianchampionships2008_prospectus_03august for full details on the format and activities of this Aussie Rules Extravaganza.
Posted in Asian Champs | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Vietnam Swans on August 3, 2008
The Swans turbo-charged barbie
As the Asian Champs draw nearer, the Vietnam Swans in Saigon have just announced details of our fund raising BBQ which will put cash in the coffers and sausages in the stomachs.
Danny Armstrong will host the event on Sunday 24 August 2008. Danny is an avid BBQ enthusiast and, in his spare time, has been building the mother of all turbo-charged barbies that should put more sizzle in our sausages than a rocket (“Hope you don’t mind, well done“, he cautiously asks us).
The Swans Pre Champs BBQ Fundraiser is offering you an “All you can eat” BBQ for just $10 (My goodness! Out they go at those prices). There will also be cheap beers, Jim Beams, soft drinks, white wine, a couple of raffles and swimming for the kids.
For full details, contact the Blog or your nearest Swannie.
Posted in Asian Champs, Fundraiser | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Vietnam Swans on August 1, 2008
- The 2008 Asian Championships logo
Here’s the logo for the 2008 Asian Championships that will be held in Singapore on 6 September 2008.
Do you like it? Do you love it?
Do you want to tell someone who cares? Post a comment below.
Posted in Asian Champs | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Vietnam Swans on August 1, 2008
The Vientiane Victory
Last weekend in Vientiane, the Vietnam Swans had their first ever victory on foreign soil. In the Vientiane Victory, the Swans piled on 80 points to the Lao Elephants 55pts. Sammy Grigg snagged 7 sausage rolls in a match winning performance. Big Drew claims he helped Sam with at least 9 of his 7 goals! (Unheard of!) Regardless of whether that’s true, posters of Sam are appearing alongside mirrors at many of the barber shops that grace Vietnam’s footpaths.
Match reports can be found below on this website and also at www.laoelephants.com
The Asian Champs
One week out from the Beijing Olympics means we’re just 5 weeks out from the 9th Annual Asian Champs in Singapore on 6 September. Flights and accommodation are being booked and fundraisers are about to start. This week, the organizers of the Champs unveiled the official logo for the Champs (see above).
The Sydney Swans have offered us 2 Tommy Sherrin footies to help us with our assault. All we need to get our hands onto the footies is to find a carrier pigeon to bring them here from Melbourne. If you’re coming back from Melbourne, please contact us.
If you need to taste the footy on the park in Singapore, we’re not surprised. Contact us!! We are actively looking for more players and tourers. We need more!
A Tri Nations Tournament in November?
Following the success of last year’s Tri Nations Tournament in Hanoi between Vietnam, Laos and Thailand, the Thailand Tigers have suggested we do it again in November. Venues being considered are Laos, Cambodia or Saigon. Details to be confirmed.
The Official Vietnam Swans 2008 AFL Grand Final Parties
Organisation for theVietnam Swans 2008 AFL Grand Finals Parties in both Hanoi and Saigon / HCMC / Ho Chi Minh on 27 September is well underway. We’re cranking up for a cupla crackers.
If the truth be known…
If you’re not honkin’ yer horn in this country, yer not lovin’ yer footy.
Posted in Asian Champs, Grand Final | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Vietnam Swans on March 23, 2008
Former Carlton Assistant Coach, Tony Liberatore has accused the Vietnam Swans of “tanking” matches at the end of last season.
Speaking on the Footy Show last week, Liberatore cited the fact that the Vietnam Swans “lost their last four matches of the season” (sic) (Editor’s note: clearly, the fact that Libber’s brain is tanking would be less evident if his lips stopped flapping. The Swans won our second last match of the year against the Lao Elephants).
In a wide ranging interview, Libber accuses Coach Stacey of standing over Swans player, Mattie Greenwood, “demonstrating how to feign a medial ligament injury”.
The latest Libber outburst follows his comments last month that Swans President, Phil Johns is “a divisive figure who should be sacked and that Swans’ Captain, Gus McEwin should also get his marching orders if he could not guide the club to the finals at the 2008 Asian Champs”.
The Swans have obviously “issued a statement emphatically denying the claims and said they would hold a press conference about the issue on a Friday in 2020″.
To read the full story, see Micky J’s article, Tanking claims not confined to the mainland.
Posted in Asian Champs, Unheard of | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Vietnam Swans on February 5, 2008
The Swans Blog has received an email from the President of the Saigon Geckos’ Rugby Club regarding the proposal for a new footy jumper. Pago, who is an original member of the Saigon Saints, has been instrumental in resurrecting Aussie Rules in Saigon by offering the resources and players from the Geckos as well as some well received advice. Pago also toured to Bangkok for the Vietnam Swans’ inaugural assault on the Asian Champs last year where his on-field performance was solid and his off-field session as “Fines Master” was exemplary!
As the last surviving playing member of the Saigon Saints, can I please have some input when you guys decide the jersey.
The Saints formed in 1999 and at last count there are still 12 ex players residing in Saigon (who unfortunately, “are too old now to play”). I am sure that the club will get more support if it tries to keep some part of the history of Aussie Rules in Saigon alive, rather than just changing to something completely different.
I believe we have tracked down some of the old (St Kilda) jerseys too, and have enough for a team.
I propose that whatever design is decided that we try to incorporate the red, white and black. Not necessarily in equal proportions like St Kilda but however fits best. I also propose that on the neck of the jersey we have SSFC as other merged clubs do such as Sydney/South Melbourne (SMFC), Brisbane/Fitzroy BBFLFC), etc.
Pago added in a subsequent email, “All good for Hanoi to stay as the Swans, Saigon the Saints and then a combined Vietnam jersey.” He also said he has a photograph of the original Saigon Saints team which will be forwarded through shortly to the Blog.
Posted in Asian Champs, Asian Footy, Vietnam | 1 Comment »
Posted by Vietnam Swans on February 3, 2008
Last week, the Swans Blog smashed through its 20,000th hit. Since then, we’ve recorded another 700 hits.
In what has been a bumper month for the Swans Blog, January had 3,279 hits which is a world record. Our previous best month was July last year when we had 3,271. What’s weird about that is that July was the month of the Asian Championships. January, by contrast, was the month of not very much!
In the last 20 days, 12 days have had more than 100 hits. If you include days that had more than 90 hits, the number goes up to 17. Seriously unheard of.
The Swans Blog has attracted an international audience. Staggeringly, the United States accounts for 28 per cent of our traffic; Australia has 22 per cent and Vietnam comes in at No. 3 with 19 per cent of the hits. Often, the Blog is difficult to access in Vietnam. Many times we can’t access it during the day at all which may explain why Vietnam doesn’t come in at No. 1.
If you have your own theory to explain these results, post a comment.
Posted in Asian Champs, Swans in the Community, Unheard of | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Vietnam Swans on January 12, 2008
Following a meeting between the Presidents of the Vietnam Swans and Singapore Wombats in the Members’ Pavilion of the MCG on the 2nd day of the Boxing Day Test Match, Singapore will tour to Hanoi in 2008.
The proposed tour is likely to occur in late July which will be ideal preparation for the Asian Champs to be hosted in Singapore. The date for the Champs is still to be confirmed but it is expected to be held at the end of August after the Beijing Olympics.
Above is a photo of the Singapore Wombats. As you can see, their jumper is almost identical to the Vietnam Swans. The similarity of the two jumpers has been described by some Swans as ”untenable”. Given the Swans are the relatively new entrants on the Asian circuit, we are the ones who need the ”new look”.
Posted in Asian Champs, Asian Footy | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Vietnam Swans on December 31, 2007
2007 was a big year for the Swannies. Below are some of the highlights:
- - It was the year that Hanoi and Saigon combined to form a national team, the Vietnam Swans.
- - The Vietnam Swans then made our inaugural appearance at the Asian Championships in Bangkok in July.
- - Players and officials for our first Asian Champs came from no fewer than 6 countries (Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, China, Singapore and Australia) to make it happen.
- Triple Brownlow Medalist, Bobby Skilton; Triple Premiership Player, Clarke Keating; and member of the SouthMelbourne/Sydney Swans’ Team of the Century, Tony Morwood, individually wrote to the Vietnam Swans in the lead up to the Champs to wish us luck.
- We commenced a relationship with Sponsor, Jim Beam where they actively used the Swans appearance at the Champs to market their product – ie, they sought genuine business value from the sponsorship (eg Jim Beam promotional posters that incorporated into the design the Swans appearance at the Champs.)
- In the lead up to the Champs, we launched the Vietnam Swans Blog which has since had more than 17,000 hits.
- The guys from Laos who played with us at the Champs – have since gone on to form their own Club, the Laos Elephants.
- We hosted a Tri Nations Tournament in Hanoi with Laos and Thailand that was combined with the netball. Approximately 200 people attended the after match function.
- We hosted a match in Saigon against Asian Champs Premiers’ the Hong Kong Dragons.
- We hosted a derby between Hanoi and Saigon in Saigon.
- We formed part of Austrade’s Australian Schools Open Day in both Saigon and Hanoi where we used footy to help differentiate the Australian education product. Club Sponsor, QBE Insurance, sponsored 900 Swans hats that were given away to attendees in the two cities.
- The Vietnam Swans received very generous support from sponsors for their third Grand Final Party in Hanoi and close to 200 people attended.
- In the lead up to the Grand Final, Vietnam Swans stalwart, Wayne Tinlin, was interviewed by ABC Radio in Australia.
- The Vietnam Swans ran the 2nd Grand Final Cyclo Parade in Hanoi on the Thursday prior to the Grand Final. A photograph subsequently appeared in Melbourne’s Herald Sun Newspaper and ABC Radio in Adelaide did a live interview with Wayne Bubbles Tinlin.
- The Swans continued to give back to the community by raising money for an organisation dealing with prostate cancer in Hanoi and also for the Loreto Foundation in Saigon which deals with disadvantaged children. On both occasions we raffled off Jim Beam bottles which were part of the original sponsorship from the Asian Champs.
- The Swans also gave sporting equipment to the orphanage in Hanoi that we have been associated with.
- The Swans held our 3rd Annual Golf Day in Melbourne on 29 December.
In many respects, 2007 has been a remarkable year for the Vietnam Swans. Congratulations to all involved – especially those involved with the Asian Champs.
We are now extremely well positioned to have a very strong 2008. For a sneak preview of 2008, tune in to the blog tomorrow – the 1st Day of the New Year.
Posted in Asian Champs, Asian Footy, Swans in the Community, Vietnam | Leave a Comment »